we replace the head with an R&D Rec. head,
bolt on the R&D Pipe and Manifold and add a
rev limiter modification all to get the
engine performing better. After that we
would add an R&D rideplate and Aquavein
scoop grate to give the'Blaster better
handling. The following weekend I found
myself back in Havasu, with a box of parts,
my trusy Craftsman toolbox and the eagerness
of wanting to get on the water ASAP with all
my little bolt-on goodies.
It took me a
little more than three hours to complete the
project. Bill was around but had race boats
to build, so I was primarily on my own.
First, I did the easy stuff - bolting on the
rideplate and scoop grate. Then came the
dreaded under-the-hood stuff.
I quickly decided
that finishing the removal of the pipe and
then instaling the modified rev limiter
would be my first plan of attack. Once the
black box was tampered with and remounted to
its original location, I began to install
the pipe and head. There was nothing that
overwhelmed me as far as needing help; it
was kind of like a puzzle and all the pieces
just fit together perfectly.
The only piece I
didn't have was a nipple to fit over the
small stock bypass line. Luckily Bill had
one. You should be able to pick one up
through your local dealer. Now I was ready
for the true test as to my mechanical
ability, a quick press on the starter switch
and the engine roared to life. By the time
my little project was ready to hit the
water, it was getting dark; we decided to
meet at the water at 6:30 a.m. to get some
radar runs in.
The radar gun
doesn't Iie and it can paint a good picture
as to how the craft performs. On the first
run the boat went fast but didn't seem to be
running right; it seems that in my haste to
get to the water I didn't connect the
waterlines correctly. We had just made a run
without any water passing through the pipe.
After Bill reconnected the lines, we again
tested the'Blaster. Not only did we pick up
an extra 4.8-mph average, the 'Blaster got
to speed a lot quicker.
The true test
would be on the course later that day, as I
would put the 'Blaster through its paces.
Instantly I noticed a major gain on bottom
end and midrange. I definitely had the power
I wanted, with nothing holding me back.
Added to the power increase was the
handling, which was enhanced thanks to the
rideplate, scoop grate combination.